If you are like me, you crave a good soup on a cold day. With the fall weather in full effect right now, nothing hits home like my mom’s chicken and vegetable soup! It will only take 30 minutes from start to finish, and I promise, you’ll be hooked!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 onion (cut into chunks)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped large)
- 2 stalks of celery (cut into bit sized pieces)
- 2 carrots (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 7-8 drumsticks, or thighs of chicken
- 1 potato (optional)- cut into cubes
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 bayleaf
- Garnish: scallions and cilantro (optional)
How to prepare:
- Boil ~8-9 cups of water in a large pot
- Add all of the chicken, vegetables, garlic, salt & pepper, bayleaf and leave to simmer.
- Once chicken is cooked (falling off the bone), add in the tomatoes and let them soften, which will be fairly quick.
- Serve in a bowl, topped with chopped scallions and cilantro (if desired)
When I was little, my mom would always serve this soup on top of freshly cooked white rice. It was always one of my favorite recipes. You can enjoy it with or without the rice, if you are trying to control your carbohydrates. The soup on it’s own its amazing with just the chicken and vegetables!
My mom has been amazing in cooking meals that are hearty and delicious. Make sure to check out her recipe for Easy To Make Asian Noodles if you want to check out some more of her good eats!
What is one of your favorite family recipes?