Mom Goals….you hear it all the time. So many people ask me how I have time to train for a marathon, blog and be a full time mommy to two small kids. Hey, I’m not superwoman, but I think I’ve just now got a handle now on this thing called organization. I know it’s tough. No two days are the same. I have a toddler…and a baby…life is hectic. When you start coming down on yourself for having a bad day, start back up the next day! Check out this list and see what you can do to get your mom goals kick started:
5 tips to achieving your “Mom Goals”:
- Organize your kids schedule the night before: If your kids have play dates, or organized sports, make sure that you write it down on the calendar so that you don’t miss out on them. Plus, always have them involved and signed up for things! It could be reading groups at the library, play dates with other stay-at-home moms, sports or even in-home instructional activities. I feel so much better when I know that my kid has received some sort of organized or social activity everyday.
- Take advantage of nap time! When the kids nap, there are a ton of things that you can do for yourself: take a shower, start prepping dinner for the night, clean house, do laundry, finally catch up on an episode of my favorite TV show, blog, do a workout video, catch up with friends and family on the phone…you get the picture.
- When hubby comes home from work, let him take over! Since you’ve now been working a 12 hour shift, it’s your time to take a breather and detach that baby from your hip. You need your sanity right about now, so give the kids a kiss and head off to the gym, the nail salon, the grocery store….basically anywhere that you can have complete YOU time. Remember, if you are not taken care of, who will take care of the kids?
- Use your neighbors and family! When they really do offer to babysit, take them up on it! Even if it’s just for an early dinner out, or a movie….you need to keep your relationship strong with your hubby. Remember, he was your first commitment at one time. A strong marriage and time for just you two is so important to the foundation of your family!
- Set aside time for your dreams. It could be saving money for a vacation, learning to play an instrument, sewing materials together at home for your side business. If you don’t have ambitions and goals for yourself, I truly believe that you lose a little bit of your self-worth. Believing in YOU and what you want to be in life is what sets you apart from other moms out there. Don’t compare yourself to what the neighbor mom is doing because your dreams are not hers and vice versa.
My goals are set, I follow them and it works!
If it wasn’t for my blog, I would probably go crazy trying to find an outlet to write and take photos of my kids. And if it wasn’t for the marathon, I wouldn’t be training and getting out to socialize with my running group. Yes, the kids are fed, happy and they have a roof over their head. At the end of each and every day, I check to see that my mom goals have been met. If not…there’s always tomorrow. Don’t be so hard on your self, really.
What are your mom goals that you try to conquer every week?