Because I’ve been home (with the new baby), I have had lots of time to spend with my family, and cook some more. I know that a lot of you have been wanting some more tofu recipes because:
A. You don’t know what to do with it
B. You aren’t sure when to use soft tofu versus firm tofu
C. You haven’t tried it before and are not sure how it will taste
Here is a recipe for an easy to make vegetable and tofu stir fry that will sure to please any palate. Depending on what you want to add to it, the ingredients that I have included are some basic stir fry essentials- like hoisin sauce and oyster sauce ! Feel free to add your own veggies or condiments to your liking!
*Affiliate Links (See my disclosure for more information)
So what are the differences between soft and firm tofu?
Soft tofu has the least amount of water pressed out, while firmer tofu’s have a low moisture content and a dense texture. You will want to use soft tofu in recipes like soup, where it will be easy to consume and less to chew. Use firm tofu in stir fry’s or noodle dishes, where it can maintain its shape and not fall apart so easy.
I like this recipe because I love how fast you can prepare it, and how the flavors come together so nicely. It can be eaten on its own, or over a bed of rice (how I prefer it)!
Easy To Make Vegetable And Tofu Stir Fry
Using a firm tofu as the main element, you can stir fry your favorite vegetables for a quick and nutritious meal
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 small White Onion
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- Green Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Bean Sprouts optional
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1 slice Fresh Ginger Root thin sliced or grated
- 1 package Firm Tofu cut into cubes
1. Add vegetable oil to pan on medium high heat. Add in chopped up garlic and ginger and allow to lightly brown.
2. Add in chopped up onion and red bell pepper until softened.
3. Add in cubed tofu and blend ingredients together.
4. Add the hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and pinch of sugar. Toss to combine all ingredients together.
5. Add green onions, and cilantro to the top. Serve with fresh bean sprouts if desired.
6. Serve on a bed of rice, or enjoy on it's own!